The 5th running of Duncan’s Run is on this Saturday, which includes race options of 50km, 21km and 6km but let’s just focus on the 50k, which is certified as a UTMB qualifying race too.
The race continues Duncan’s dream to hold an ultra marathon on the Grand Strzelecki track, all runs start and finish in the Tarra-Bulga National Park at Balook (Traralgon South). You can read a little more about the story here and why the run was set-up.
The trails in this area are home to towering Mountain Ash trees, beautiful fern gullies and rainforest like surrounds. The 50km comprises of two loops – the first loop (21K) takes in the historical Corrigan Suspension bridge and the highest mountain in the Strzelecki Ranges Mt Tassie (740m) before some quad busting downs and then a “hike the shit of out it” climb back up to the start/finish.
For the second loop (29k) runners explore some rugged single tracks, mixed with some old forestry fire trails before experiencing the same “hike the shit of out it” climb back up to the finish line.
With a big field of runners, it can be any bodies win for the taking.
Contenders in the 50k Female:
– Nicole Vaughan: 1st, Berry Long Run (80km) 2017, 3rd Maroondah Dam 50km 2017, 11th Two Bays Ultra 2017
– Jo Noesgaard 1st Roller Coaster Run (43K) 2018
Contenders in the 50k Male:
– Joel Claxton 1st Roller Coaster Run (43K) 2018 – the previous winner of Duncan’s Run 100k (2016), 3rd GOW 100 (2016), 1st Walhalla Wound up (50K) 2016.
– Stuart Hughes – Strong performance at Tarawera, 1st Tan Ultra (100K)
– Damian and Daniel Smith 2nd and 3rd Duncan Run 2017 (50k)
With Duncan’s Run originally having a 100k option, the team are looking at bringing this back in 2019 so stay tuned for more details later in the year.
Have a great race everyone this weekend!
Feature image credit: Stu Brown