The fourth running of the Blackall 100 takes place this weekend along with the smaller 50k event, both of which take place on the Sunshine Coast Hinterland Walk. The event has grown steadily since its inception in 2014 and has become known for its quintessential Queensland atmosphere and technicality.
The main 100k event with 3300 meters of elevation gain will be the focus of this preview, but there is also a 50k event with 1500 meters of elevation. The events both take place within the Mapleton National Park covering sections of the Blackall Range.
The event although still quite young has garnered a reputation as one of the top ultra trail events to do in Australia in every aspect and to quote Queenslander Troy Lethlean, “ the course probably only has around 7-8% road/path with the rest being single track trail or 4WD Fire Trail/road. Early in the race (only the 100k), the Kondalilla Falls section is amazing, with the sub tropical rainforest and falls making it a fantastic location to run. “
The women’s 100k race features some great local competition but like the previous few years, Shona Stephenson seems to be the one to beat and will be looking for her fourth straight win at the event. The men’s 100k race also features some hefty competition including last year’s winner, Charlie Boyle and newcomer to the event, Stephen Rennick.
100k Female contenders:
- Shona Stephenson – 1st Blackall 100 2014, 2015, 2016, 3rd Ultra Trail Australia 100 2015
- Tamyka Bell – 3rd Alpine Challenge 100 Mile 2014, 3rd River Run Brisbane 100k 2015, 3rd CBR 48 2017
- Meagan Sims – 3rd Blackall 100 2015, 7th Blackall 100 2016
- Jessica Schluter – 4th Blackall 100 2015, 3rd Blackall 100 2016, 10th Kepler Challenge Mountain Run 2016
- Chrissy Redwood – 2nd Glasshouse Flinders Tour 50k 2016, 4th Blackall 100 2016,
100k Male Contenders:
- Stephen Rennick – 7th Bogong to Hotham 2017, 4th Cradle Mountain Run 2017, 9th Surf Coast 100 2017
- Charlie Boyle – 1st Blackall 100k 2016
- Steve Pemberton – 4th Blackall 100k 2016, 9th Ultra Easy 100k 2017, 2nd Northburn Station 100k 2017
- Chris Jacobson – 7th Wilson Promontory 100k 2016, 5th Blackall 100 2016
- Cam Munro – 1st Glasshouse Flinders Tour 50k 2014, 1st Glasshouse 100 Mile 2014
Good luck to all those racing this weekend, Ultra168 Owner and Editor, Dan Bleakman will be running in the 100km event, so looking forward to seeing many people out on the course too.